National Talent Search Exam (NTSE), formerly known as NSTSS (National Science Talent Search), is a scholarship exam organized by the Government of India and conducted by the NCERT (National Council of Educational Research and Training). It recognizes and assists talented students by granting a monthly scholarship for the rest of their academic careers. The exam is divided into two stages: Stage I is held at the state level, while Stage II is held at the national level. Students in class 10th are eligible to participate in the selection process. If you are also keen on going ahead with this government scholarship exam preparation, you must know all the necessary details.
NTSE Exam Procedure
The exam is conducted only once a year. The exam is held in two stages: Stage 1 (State Level) and Stage 2 (National Level). If a candidate wishes to be considered for the scholarship, they must qualify in both levels. Here are some essential features of NTSE to keep in mind:-
- Exam Mode — Offline. It is a pen-and-paper test where candidates need to mark answers on OMR sheets.
- Exam Medium – Candidates can choose the language/medium of instructions and questions from the language options the organizing body provides for State level exams. The first stage of the NTSE will be conducted in English, Hindi, or any other regional language. However, the stage 2 exam will only be available in Hindi and English.
- Exam Duration – All candidates have 120 minutes for the exam, except visually impaired individuals who have 150 minutes for all papers.
- Exam Question Type- Both state and national level NTSE exams use objective style multiple-choice questions without any negative marking. You will get one mark for every correct answer.
Along with students residing in India, those Indian students studying abroad are also eligible to participate in the NTSE exam.
- MAT: Verbal and non-verbal reasoning. This section covers the Analogy, Puzzle tests, and Alphabet tests.
- SAT: Science, Social Science, and Maths. This section covers a wide range of topics from subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History, Geography, Civics, and Maths.
How to prepare for NTSE?
The fundamental strategy for preparing for the NTSE exam is to enhance your syllabus knowledge up to class X. One must develop critical thinking since it is handy for the Mental Ability Test section. You must extensively practice advanced problems and concepts from the CBSE IX and X syllabus for the science, maths, and social studies sections. Thorough knowledge of CBSE and taking up MOCK tests and dedicated classes is the simplest and easiest way to prepare for NTSE.
Only 2000 candidates are shortlisted each year and awarded monthly scholarships. The monthly scholarship amount for several stages are as follows:
- Higher Secondary level (Class 11th and 12th) – Rs.1250/-
- Graduate and Postgraduate – Rs.2000/-
- For a PhD degree (four years) – As per UGC norms
NTSE is an excellent opportunity for budding talents of our country to receive the recognition and scholarship they deserve. If you are also planning to appear for NTSE this year, managing studies and the preparation can be challenging. You can make it easier by joining NTSE preparation coaching at Vishwa Education. We provide aspiring students with qualified faculty and classroom, laboratory, and study resources, helping them with any government scholarship exams. Enroll with us now!